Monday, December 24, 2012

Getting Baked



I'm not really sure why I do this to myself every year, but once again it's the day before my family Christmas Eve dinner and I am definitely going to be up until 3 am. Why you ask?
Because I bake.  Also, because I am a horrid procrastinator and can't just make chocolate chip cookies like everyone else.

This year I am making a pear tarte tatin, salted caramel macarons (which won me an awesome trophy at my work's bake-off), and probably some lady locks.  Throw in some egg nog cream cupcakes, and call me done.  I take weird satisfaction in knowing I'm an awesome baker, and walking in with some Sara Lee just doesn't do it for me.

It drives my mother crazy, because it inevitably dirties way too many dishes, and our tiny kitchen becomes coated in a sugary stickiness.  And seeing as how I don't drive, she gets to go about finding the strange and often expensive ingredients with me. I still have flax meal in my freezer from a goat cheese and beet casserole for a gluten free friend, an entire jar of red curry paste, and have some how ended up with 2 jars of gumbo file powder.

I often think about the possibility of opening a boutique/bakery combo where I could sell my designs and booze-soaked cupcakes.  I call it Tipsy Cakes.  Eat a cupcake, have a glass of wine, and try on fabulous dresses.  That shit is golden.  Actually, anyone interested in funding such an endeavor?
I promise to pay you back in cupcakes and new clothes for you after your inevitable weight gain.


<3 Cass

No comments:

Post a Comment